Tuesday, March 23, 2010

DS Foot Box & Steering Column – 6 Hours

The lighter nights and warm weather has improved progress, the key drivers side foot box panels are sealed and riveted in place, these being the foot box lower floor, inner vertical panel and front vertical foot box, this has allowed for the clutch adjusted and steering shaft front bearing to be installed.

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I had decided to use the Breeze steering rack bushings, these are a must. After careful measurement and rotation of the bushing per instructions, I was able to get the steering rack centered to less than 1/16”, and significantly lower than the Factory Five bushings. This should help eliminate bump steer.

Note: Before starting any steering rack alignment, first check that when the rack is centered, and the steering wheel is also centered. I found I had to move the adapter one spline over from center. Much easier to check and alter this alignment prior snuggling everything up.

Stopped by O’Reily Auto Parts and borrowed their 250 ft/lb torque wrench to finish torque the front spindle nuts to 235 ft/lb’s and installed the dust caps. Also I was having concerns with the lateral play in the accelerator play (there are numerous threads on the forum) so turned my own spacer from some spare nylon I had lying around. Significant improvement once this was installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment